( 24 ) Some Memories from M A IInd Year Course
One day, I and Serin were walking through the verandah of our college. She had to meet a relative of her who was doing Degree Course. While we were walking, we could see some boys who were in Degree Final Year classes hindering the way of some girls from 1st & IInd Year Degree classes. After asking some questions, they released the girls - it was something like ragging. As I & Serin approached near, one of the boys stopped us by stretching his hands. We stopped there and I could see Serin seizing & removing his hands and walking straight. Serin was very tall, I was very brave, so we didn't take the matter seriously. We walked forward but we could hear some protesting sounds from among the boys. But, as we were seniors, we couldn't tolerate their behaviour.
When we returned to our classroom, we were discussing about the deteriorated conduct of the Degree students. After sometime, we noticed some Degree students walking through the verandah of the college near our classroom and also peeping through the windows outside. We described the whole incidents to our class representative and I think the boys from our class went to Degree classes & I don't know whether any conflict had taken place. In the evening, Gowtham ( class representative ) told Serin not to go home alone. She did so but she was very courageous, her two elder brothers had great political influence and nothing happened after that incidence.
During that period, I explained the incident to Gowtham like this, "their behaviour to the girls was like that of a prey. Is it correct ? Girl students should get every freedom like boys ". I could react to each situation like this.
No comments:
Post a Comment