( 16 ) M A 1st Year - some sad moments
It was a holiday and I had gone to my house for two days from hostel. One afternoon, I was sitting in the front verandah. After sometime, I noticed a taxi, coming and parking in the opposite side of our house, near the road which led to the Puthiyaveettil house. Surprisingly, aunt Chinnamma, aunt Laly & uncle Daniel came, climbing the steps. Aunt Chinnamma and aunt Laly were crying. Uncle Daniel explained that my maternal grandfather had got a serious injury, he couldn't stand up and as a result, he was lying on the backseat of the taxi. First, they took him to Dharmagiri hospital, Kothamangalam . After examining him, they gave some primary treatments and then referred to MOSC Medical Mission hospital ( Now Medical College ) , Kolenchery. Hearing this, my mother started crying loudly. However, my father and mother quickly changed dress and went to the hospital, Kolenchery.
We ( I, my brother who was doing Pre - degree IInd year and my sister who was in VIIth Std ) were left behind in our house. I was shocked for sometime. It was eveningtime, so I knew that some of them would return to our house and therefore, I had to prepare a curry for dinner. With the help of my brother, I collected the leaves of a variety of amaranthus, which was grown abundantly in our land and prepared a curry. In the evening, some of them returned - I don't remember who they were - but it is sure that my father was there. I remember this because he made a statement that he didn't know whether a curry is prepared or not. He went to the kitchen to make sure that the curry was prepared. After taking food, he returned to hospital, I think.
We ( I, my brother who was doing Pre - degree IInd year and my sister who was in VIIth Std ) were left behind in our house. I was shocked for sometime. It was eveningtime, so I knew that some of them would return to our house and therefore, I had to prepare a curry for dinner. With the help of my brother, I collected the leaves of a variety of amaranthus, which was grown abundantly in our land and prepared a curry. In the evening, some of them returned - I don't remember who they were - but it is sure that my father was there. I remember this because he made a statement that he didn't know whether a curry is prepared or not. He went to the kitchen to make sure that the curry was prepared. After taking food, he returned to hospital, I think.
The thing that worried me was that he made the statement that he was not sure whether the curry was prepared or not. I was twentyone years then and it would be an insulting factor to me when the relatives know that I don't know how to make a curry for dinner. He knew that I could make some simple curries but when any relative or fellow citizen came to our house, he would say that he didn't know whether I could cook rice or curry. Many times, I was annoyed by this statement and so the distance between I & my father increased day by day.
No comments:
Post a Comment