( 6 ) Some Incidents from my Degree Course
When I was doing my Degree Course, the midsummer vacation in School was our 'study leave ' period. During those days, I was struggling for a pass mark in the examination. As usual, my father, mother and sister would take a midday nap after lunch, upto about 04.00 p.m., in the evening. Usually, my father would wake up at about 03. 00 p.m., take the chopper and spade and would go to the backside of our land to collect the tapioca roots with which we would make kappappuzhukke for the teatime at 04. 00 p.m., in the evening. One day, at about 03.00 p.m., in the evening, my father shouted at me, "why are you sitting there idle ? Go and collect the tapioca roots for the teatime at the evening. " I wondered to hear his abuse words but when I looked at his eyes, I understood what would happen next. Taking the chopper and spade, I approached a tapioca plant and cut the upper part of the plant with the chopper. In the midst of leaves, we can see the seeds and I remember we used it as a top in our leisure time. Now, I remember how interesting it was to twist it and observing its rotation. My brother was an expert in it and we used to cheer up our sister with that game. However, after cutting the upper part of the plant, I shook the stalk and the roots could be seen when the soil was removed with the spade. Sometimes, the roots would be so long that I could remove the soil carefully with the spade and take it without breaking it.
My problem was this - "why did my father scold me to do the job when my mother was in a siesta ? " Now, I ask this question to my relatives.
Now, I have to reveal a particular problem to others. When I was in School, I haven't experienced any pain during my menstrual days. But when I was doing my Degree Course, I experienced pain for two or three hours on the 1st day. So, when I experienced pain on that particular day, I lay in bed during daytime, which was an unusual behaviour from my side. Seeing this, I noticed that my father was looking at me angrily, while he was preparing to go to Kadayiruppu junction in the evening. Then, I remembered what was his reaction when aunt Laly experienced pain for twentyfour hours, crying by laying on a mat on the floor. At daytime, she would be lying on the back verandah of our house, on a mat. Then, my father would be lying on the bed after returning from his work and he wouldn't say anything about her pitiful condition.
Here, my problem was this - "how did he understand the pain of my mother's sister ? Why didn't he understand my problem ? Could I describe my problem with him ?" I leave this question also to my relatives.
Here, my problem was this - "how did he understand the pain of my mother's sister ? Why didn't he understand my problem ? Could I describe my problem with him ?" I leave this question also to my relatives.
No comments:
Post a Comment